Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Summer of 2009 Is Special

This has been a special week. Our entire family has been with us for at least part of this past Wednesday-today (Saturday). Yesterday I started off the day with a 6:20 tee time. I played with two other men, who are in the food service industry. They usually play early on Friday because around 11:00 their orders start coming in and it is controlled chaos the rest of the day. I had a good time with them.

One of my life buckets is to break 85 on the golf course. I've been playing since I was twelve, but have not been able to play regularly over the past few decades. I remember one time playing between 85-90, but I've not been back there yet. I'm planning to play with regularity over the next eight weeks and just see if I can do it.

Why do I like golf so much? I think because it is outdoors in a beautiful atmosphere, but most of all...it's just me and God. That's how I felt this week. I'll let you know if I real my goal by the end of the summer.

Yesterday I cooked dinner on the grill. It consisted of 2-3 different kind of steaks and pork chops. Patti did the rest of the meal inside and she did a marvelous job. Everybody liked the food and there is plenty left over for the weekend. No more cooking, I guess, over the weekend.

We ended the day by attending a Cancer fund-raiser at Tiffany's (daughter-in-law) high school. We left there around dusk to get the kids home and to bed. The grandchildren ran all over the football practice field. They had a ball!

My life-long dream has been to retire and play golf several times a week. About six years ago I would drive past Southwyck Golf Club and see the men playing and I think I knew that it was never going to happen for me. I was working at Best Buy at the time and retirement/golf seemed like it was in the next galaxy. I believe I gave up on that dream, which I very seldom ever do, but it is sort of happening this summer. I should get a taste of what it is like. Maybe that will be good enough for me.

No comments: