Thursday, June 11, 2009

Summer Is Here

I have had a great year teaching, but sometime during the last two weeks, I knew it was time for a break. Now the break is here. I am still working at the church two days a week, but to have Wednesday-Saturday off is magnificent.

Yesterday was my first summer day off. I got up at 5:15 to play golf. I had a 6:18 tee time. It was the first time in my life that I was the first one to tee off. There was nobody in front of me and after the first hole, there was no one close behind me. I had never experienced anything like that. I saw a Marshall a few times and an employee on a tractor fertilizing, but that was it.

Yes, it is light out at 6:18 if you were wondering. I finished the round in 2:48 which is unheard of for the course that I played. I've been in a tournament when it took over six hours to finish a round. I don't know if I have ever played 18 holes in less than 3 hours! As you could figure, I got through playing just after 9:00. One of the Marshalls told me that I could keep playing if I wanted to, but the funniest thing happened that didn't allow me to take him up on it.

Around the 8th hole I noticed that one of my soles was flip-flopping back and forth. I wondered if I would be able to finish. By the 12th hole it was getting much worse. I walked onto the green on #14 and walked out of the sole, leaving it on the perimeter of the green. Now I am practically walking on nothing, but the worst part was that now I was higher on one side than the other.

I made it through the 18 holes. While driving home I realized that those golf shoes were probably 11+ years old. I've got another pair, but they are about the same age. I have not been able to play much the past six years, so those shoes have just been sitting in the garage. Yesterday's pair was just rotted out I guess. Maybe I should check the other pair too...what do you think?

I've got a lot of things to do this summer, but I just wanted to enjoy this first week. I've got a lot of work to do to prepare for next fall's school year, many honey-do's to complete, and assorted other jobs. I think I will enjoy this time of being off. Life really is a journey isn't it!

No comments: