Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Four Days Into Ike

This morning we returned to our home and we found that the electricity had been turned on. That was a fantastic sight! We walked inside and felt cool air. We got the refrigerator going and it wasn't long before we were back in business again.


Patti spent the day clearing the ground floor of our garage. The middle of the floor has been filled with boxes since we moved in over two years ago. Not any more. We could park a car in there now and two cars if I rearrange the yard equipment.


I've had more than 30 boxes stored for over five years. The boxes mainly contain books and office knick knacks. I went through every box today. I finally ended up with five boxes that I want to take to my church office. I discovered one box that had my most valuable certificates and knick knacks in it. That put a smile on my face.

There are still a lot of homes in a Pearland tonight without electricity. Maybe tomorrow will be the day to get their power back. There are more fences down than I've ever seen and of course, many trees and utility poles. Some of Pearland looks like it was hit by a tornado, or several of them. Not many businesses are open. A few grocery stores, a couple of drug stores, and a few convenience stores pumping gasoline with long lines. It will be awhile before life returns to normal, whatever normal happens to be.

No comments: