Friday, October 11, 2013

Adjustments: A Necessary Part of Life

It has been a busy week. I have learned something over the years. You can have a plan for the week, but depending on what happens, a wise person adjusts to the circumstances. A sense of fulfillment will usually be the by-product of "going with the flow".

I finished a study on Hebrews at Trinity Oaks Retirement Community on Thursday and will start a new one on Judges next Monday. We have done a verse by verse study of 21 books of the Bible since I started at Trinity Oaks and that is very satisfying.

I must be one of the most fortunate pastors in Texas. I had the opportunity to teach the Bible for three years at Eagle Heights Christian Academy and now I continue to have the opportunity to teach five times a week at Trinity Oaks. I don't know another minister who has had that kind of opportunity. I am humbled and thankful.

This week I have spent time in hospitals from the Medical Center to Clear Lake and in between. I have had the opportunity to visit folks in Nursing Homes, as well as apartment visits. I love visiting with people who need pastoral care, even if they don't realize it.  I feel at home in the medical environment.

Also created a worship guide for our Sunday service at Trinity Oaks and a table top promo for each person in the dining rooms highlighting our Sunday worship experience. I wrote a sermon on the subject of Fear for this coming Sunday morning.

What have I done on my own time? I have worked out twice a day---usually at 5:30 each morning and then sometime 5:00-9:00 at night. My trainer suggested this week that I increase my calorie intake to 2,000 calories a day. It doesn't sound like much of a change, but when you are used to about 1,600, it seems like a lot more.

Tony, my trainer, suggested two breakfasts per day---one before my workout and a lighter one after the workout. He said he wanted me eating a minimum of three eggs a day. I love eggs, but that is a tall order. He said to eat my primary meal at lunch and taper off for dinner. Lots of calories at the beginning of the day and dropping off as the day goes on. I have accomplished it at a cost of gaining one pound this week. That goes against my grain, but I know that Tony knows what he is doing.

I had a good workout with my trainer this morning and then followed it up with my usual upper body workout and cardio on the treadmill. Tonight I did another 45 minutes on the treadmill. I spent 90 minutes on the workout this morning. Wish i had the time to do that every day. Just don't want to get up earlier than 5:00!

I hope you have a great weekend. I am planning a trip to Lake Jackson for my grandchildren's soccer game and then watch some great college football on Saturday. Remember, be ready to adjust at a moment's notice. It will pay great dividends.

No comments: